Cold starting a dab is nothing new, but if you’re unfamiliar with it, you can count on this handy guide to walk you through the process. Cold start dabs, AKA reverse dabbing, is a method of dabbing that allows you to get a perfect low temp dab every time by heating the nail after you drop your dab in instead of before. In this guide, learn what cold start dabs are, how to cold start dab, and why you’ll like this method more than the traditional method.
What is cold start dabbing?
Cold start dabs are also known as reverse dabs or cold dabs. They’re the perfect low temperature dabs that you hit out of a normal rig and banger setup with one key difference: when you heat the nail. Dabbing traditionally involves heating your banger up, allowing it to come down in temperature a bit, and then dropping your dab in to hit it. Cold start dabs are taken in reverse. Instead, you’ll drop your dab into the nail and use your torch to heat the nail around the dab until it vaporizes, then inhale.
This technique is perfect if you enjoy taking dabs from a rig but struggle with the warm-up and cool-down times and either burn your dabs or waste them frequently. More importantly, cold start dabs cut your dabbing time in half since it reduces the need for you to heat and cool your nail before you can hit it. Reverse dabbing is a great way to preserve terpenes, improve flavors, reduce mess and streamline your sesh.
Benefits of cold start dabs
There’s a lot to love about cold starting your banger. First and foremost, it simplifies the whole dabbing process. You don’t need to worry about making sure your banger is hot or cool enough to take the perfect dab, and it reduces the need for ancillary equipment, like timers or digital thermometers.
Since there’s no need to worry about heating and cooling times, you’ll save a tremendous amount of time on the whole song and dance involved with dabbing. All you have to do is drop the dab in, heat your nail until the dab vaporizes, then hit it. You get a perfect low temp dab every time in a fraction of the time it takes to take a traditional dab.
Speaking of low temp dabs, cold starting your dab rig makes sure you never overheat your dabs again. It preserves the terpenes and gives you the best flavors each and every time. That makes for a smoother vapor that’s gentler on your lungs and less wear and tear on your equipment. You can kiss the concept of chazzing your banger goodbye when you cold start.
The only downside to cold starting is that if you’re seshing alone or seshing with friends, you’ll need to wait for the nail to cool completely before you can cold start again. Cold starts are ideal for one dab at a time.
How to cold start dab
To try the cold start dab method, you will need a dab rig, a quartz banger, a dab tool, a carb cap, a butane torch, and isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs for cleaning. Once you collect those items, follow the steps below to take a foolproof cold start dab.
- Assemble your rig, and take care to ensure your banger is clean and clear.
- Drop your favorite concentrates into the bottom of your banger using a dab tool or thermal blade.
- Place the carb cap on top of the banger.
- Use your torch at half power to apply heat a few inches away from the bottom of your banger.
- When your cocnentrates begin to bubble after about 10 seconds, put the torch down and start hitting your dab.
- Rotate your carb cap to help swirl the concentrates around and clear the chamber. You should get multiple hits from a cold start with minimal leftover residue.
- Use isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs to clean your banger
- Once your banger is completely cool, you can repeat the instructions above.
A few pro tips for cold starting your dabs
Now that you know how to cold start your dabs, check out this list of pro tips to get the best out of your technique.
- Cold start dabbing can be wasteful if done incorrectly. Make sure you don’t take the heat off of your nail before your dab is vaporizing evenly to reduce waste.
- Make sure to clean your nail after every dab, and never cold start a dab from a dirty banger. If you can’t see through your banger, you won’t know when it’s time to remove the heat from your nail and you could waste your dabs or overheat them. More importantly, hitting a dirty banger tastes gross and ruins the flavor of your perfect low-temp cold-started dab.
- Don’t cold start giant globs. It’s more difficult to cold start larger dabs without burning the stuff that comes into contact with the flame. If you’re brand new to the technique, start with small dabs anyway to make sure you don’t waste your concentrates.
- Use a carb cap for best results. We recommend a directional airflow carb cap to help spin your concentrates around within your banger for more even heat distribution and less waste. Caps also improve the negative pressure in your rig and make sure you get bigger hits.
There you have it! Use the cold start technique to get the best flavors and hits from your favorite rig in a fraction of the time. Follow these tips and you’re well on your way to the good life. Happy dabbing!